“Bringing Fitness to Schools Program”
This program involves visiting schools to talking to them about health, wellness and of course how Brand X Method training can develop them socially, emotionally and physically. Working out together in Teams helps with social interaction, testing yourself physically and teaches you that how achieving even a small goal helps improves your own self value. Helping teens deal with uncomfortable situations in a safe environment supported by friends and coaches is powerful.
Brand X for young adults is something we all feel very passionately about here at CFWD. If you don’t enjoy team sports such as GAA or soccor then Brand X is for you. If you do enjoy team sports , Brand X will actually improve your game. It is a win , win.
We choose one school per month to visit , if you would like us to visit your school, please contact Head Coach Lorna Heyes at 086 021733 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Benefits of Brand X Training for Teens
1. First and foremost, teenagers are going to get fit. And fast. Their adaptability is paramount. So is their tabula rasa (or clean slate). This makes them incredible to train in movement patterns, before they begin developing bad habits. Additionally, this is the perfect time to develop strength, speed and explosive power.
2. Decreases risk for cardiovascular disease and associated health issues. This is kind of a no-brainer. Any kind of exercise is great for health, body composition and helping avoid those retched cardiovascular diseases. Though Brand X is running its own game because it couples so many different fitness domains together. It develops those growing muscles, the neural circuits determining skilled movements and enhances the function of the cardiovascular system.
3. Increases their cognitive performance. I put this third, because its of high importance. Especially when our teenagers are piled with homework and expected to exhibit high quality academic skills on a continual basis. Studies have shown a variety of awesome things about the affects of physical activity on cognition and attention.
For instance, a study compared ‘fit’ and ‘unfit’ 14 and 15 year olds in a cognitive task. It revealed that the ‘fit’ teens had considerably faster reactive times (especially after just completing exercise) in comparison to the ‘unfit’ teens. What was also revealed was that the ‘unfit’ teens had faster reaction times straight after exercise, than after a period of relaxation. This suggests that physical fitness, as well as exercise, could enhance cognition by improving attention. For teens, this is crucial! Have them exercise first, and then sit down to complete their homework at night
This synergetic effect is also noted in an academic review that oversees a variety of studies linking physical activity to brain health. They conclude that aerobic physical activity need not be a trade off for curricular-based activities. Take home note: Exercise makes our teens smarter, increasing their academic achievement and psychosocial functioning.
4. Improves performance in chosen sports and prevents overuse injury. Sports are usually conducive to just a handful of movements and fitness domains. Soccer, for example, is heavy on repeatedly kicking and is highly cardiovascular. What’s lacking? Power, strength, flexibility, maybe speed depending on training modalities. Anyway, overuse of any particular facet, for example kicking, is what can cause injuries in our teens. Studies recommend sport alterations and training and conditioning programs to assist with developing a well-rounded athlete. This is exactly what a CrossFit teens program does. Play your sport, but supplement it with a strength and conditioning program.
5. It’s for everyone. You don’t need to be fit to take part . In fact, overweight teenagers excel because of their base strength. Strength training is part of the teens program, and this has been widely documented as great for healthy body composition and fat loss. I think overweight teens feel confident and comfortable in a Brand X setting because their strengths are broadcast. Self-esteem may be low for overweight teens. Though because Brand X advocates for so many different domains of fitness teenagers are bound to excel in at least one of them. Bolstering this confidence and boosting self esteem in all our athletes is a lot easier when you have more skills to play with.
6. Develops strength. For starters, myth-busting the idea that strength training is not good for adolescents. There are numerous studies refuting this notion now (use Google scholar to find them, there are too many to add here). Strength does not just mean hypertrophy training, or the addition of bulk muscle. Growing strength as a teen is related to a combination of muscular, neural and mechanical factors. It also depends on the level of understanding the coach has about effective strength training; what will be of most benefit to adolescents. They are different from adults. Understanding and acknowledging this, and working with their limits is crucial to receive positive results. Strength is necessary at all ages of life and it is crucial to the development of Fundamental Movement Skills (FMS). See here for a cool article
7. Learn correct movement patterns. We go through the basics of functional movement meticulously and ensure sessions are coached adequately. This conditions our teens to move their bodies in the way they were designed to. Brand X enables full range of motion in joints, as well as their stabilisation by developing muscular strength. This helps to develop competency in movements and help establish a strong base to build strength or develop athletic skills.
8. Works the vestibular system. Balance and spatial awareness are not highly regarded when it comes to physical abilities. For dancers and those practicing tae kwon do, it is paramount. The vestibular system is located within the inner ear. It sends information about movement, change of direction, head position, and gravitation pull to the brain. It’s important, so we train it. Want to know more? Check out this article here.
9. Instils life skills for maturation. This stuff is hard. Let’s be frank. But it isn’t unachievable. Hard work is inevitable in life, and it never stops. We need to work hard at our studies to graduate, work hard at our job to be promoted, work hard as caregiver to raise children, we must work hard at tasks to ensure they get done. Every class I encourage the teens to work harder than they want to. They always do. Then they succeed. Every time they finish a workout, it’s a celebrated success. Teens are treated as young adults and expected to be respectful, diligent and disciplined. What we are finding, and it’s consensus with Brand X coaches around the world, is our teens are prepared to go the extra mile. They are determined and ready to tackle tasks and overcome adversity. It also makes them confident. A precious skill that is challenged every day as a teenager!
10. It is Fun !!!Above and beyond anything else we’ve discussed, Brand X Training is a ball of fun. Imagine if we made our teens fall in love with fitness.